I’m back! I’ve talked about keeping it real in your social and your content, and I want to keep it real. My goal is always to do this podcast regularly, but we’re all busy! Since the last podcast, I’ve traveled a lot, successfully launched the second Social Tools Summit in San Francisco in October, and went to a conference in South Africa. This episode is part one of a radio interview I did while I was there, and focuses on the value of social media and taking a step back and looking at the big picture.
Subscribe on iTunes | Stitcher | SoundCloud | RSS
In This Episode:
- Social media has become a major business channel, it’s a public voice, you can reach out from one voice to many
- Over time, everyone has started using social media
- It’s important to understand your audience, and that will help you know how you should be using social
- You have to understand who your customer is and if they’re using social, and which platforms they’re on
- You want to be posting on those accounts, but equally as important is engaging with your audience
- There are ways to use UGC, or user generated content
- It’s important to create a routine, to learn where you’re successful and where you’re not, and you can really get it down to being on social 15 minutes a day
- Yes, you should use these new tools, but the old rules of business are still in place
- Right now in the U.S., CMOs are investing about 14%-15% of their marketing budget in social media
- Why your blog can be considered part of social media
- The importance of defining your brand voice and the tone you use
- It’s not just your verbal voice, but also you have to define your visual voice
- How a lot of companies in the U.S. are using employee advocacy
- How entire businesses are becoming social and every department are using social
- Why you need to humanize your brand and talk the way normal people do
- Why you have to offer content of value
- The time heavy part of using social is actually creating your content
- The smaller the business the greater the potential of impact from social media
- The different ways to use social such as customer service, personal branding, and sales
Resources & Links:
- Read more about the keynote I delivered at the 2nd Social Tools Summit.
- Learn how to implement employee advocacy at your company.
- Here are some tips to help you speak to your audience.
- Need help creating a visual marketing plan? Start here.
- Read my blog post about blogging for content, not comments.