Today, I want to talk about something that came up while I was having a conversation on a social network recently, and that is, are you asking the right questions? It’s so easy to get distracted by likes and reach and focus on the wrong things, and it’s important to remember to look at the big picture, especially when you may be managing a presence on multiple platforms and experimenting with your efforts. Listen in to hear my thoughts about taking a more holistic approach to social.
[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/maximizeyoursocial/2014-08-12T09_17_18-07_00.mp3″ title=”Holistic Social Media 101: Asking the Right Social Media Questions – Podcast Ep. 73″ social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” social_linkedin=”true” social_stumble=”true” social_pinterest=”true” social_email=”true” ]
Subscribe on iTunes | Stitcher | SoundCloud | RSS
In This Episode:
- If you’re a business, you’ve been told you need a Facebook page, and you build that up, get lots of likes, etc.
- A lot of companies just chase the Facebook like, but at this point we know, we also need reach
- So how do you expand your reach? You can promote posts with paid social, you can post more frequently, you can optimize your content, post different kinds of content, and do an experiment or campaign
- Is Facebook reach tied somehow to your business? When you created your business, was there this objective to get more reach on Facebook?
- It really comes down to social media ROI and metrics
- If your primary objective is to expand your reach and your engagement, I say welcome to the era of paid social
- There are two kinds of metrics, primary and secondary; for most companies, the amount of reach is a secondary metric, it equates to how effective your social media is and how you might want to improve
- You have to think holistically about social media, think of it as a whole, it’s not JUST Facebook
- Different audiences respond differently on different networks, right?
- You should be experimenting outside of Facebook! There’s a whole big world out there
- There are loads of communities where your brand can get new engagement and brand awareness
- Are you asking the right social media questions? You shouldn’t be so focused on these secondary metrics
- Your social media dashboard should be filled with independent levers for all of the different things you can be doing across all of your platforms
- If you’re asking the wrong question, you’re digging yourself a hole, and you’re never going to be effective with your programming because you’re chasing the wrong thing
- Learn by doing, and then you can optimize
- Don’t forget, social media is about reciprocity
- Stop asking and start doing, and think about if your questions are the right ones for you to be asking
Resources & Links:
- How to tell if your Facebook efforts are paying off
- Get a preview of Maximize Your Social
- Why social media ROI and business ROI are one and the same
- How you can take more advantage of your business page on Facebook
- Why you should try some social media experimentation
Check Out All of My Podcasts!
[smart_podcast_player social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” social_linkedin=”true” social_stumble=”true” social_pinterest=”true” social_email=”true” ]